Miss Mandz
 Posted: Aug 24 2013, 01:42 PM
is currently Offline.
crashin' the party ;; guess they lost my invitation

Mandy
Female
3548 posts

Group Icon

Thought about 2003 or maybe a little bit further back, the idea of using current characters and revamping them for today's audiences was the latest thing. It worked well with "101 Dalmatians", which spawned a successful cartoon series in the late 1990s, nearly 40 years after the original film's release. Even "The Jungle Book" had two TV series that used their characters - "Tale Spin" from the early 1990s and "Jungle Cubs" later in the decade.

So why not try it with "The AristoCats"? Merchandise featuring Marie, the lady-like white kitten, was popular and selling well in Disney Stores and has many fans around the world, so soon the idea of developing a TV series had begun amongst some designers and artists. Glen Hanson, a well-known illustrator, art director and writer, helped design the cast and easily showed off the newfound look that they hoped to reach the Toon Disney audience.

Naturally, Marie was slated to be the star of the series, but her brothers, Berlioz and Toulouse would still be main characters. Duchess and O' Malley, however, were to not be present, and would be replaced by a group of called the Street Cats and a hip, dancing cat named Delancey.

At one point, the planned sequel was going to introduce the teen kittens to the home audience as a way to possibly get people into the TV series if the sequel did well in sales and reviews. However, the Disney studios thought that the idea of aging up the kittens and making them teenagers was going a little too far, especially when a lot of things started to stray too much from the original film, so the idea was soon scrapped. It's unknown whether any animation was made before the scrap, but it's unlikely to see the light of day any time soon.

SOURCE: http://www.animationsource.org/aristocats/...html&id_film=26

user posted image

Would you have been interested in this series? What are your thoughts about this Disney venture that never quite made it?

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
Savannah
 Posted: Aug 24 2013, 01:58 PM
is currently Offline.
You're never too old to be young.

Savannah
Female
276 posts

Group Icon

The designs are quite cute and I loved Disney's other TV spin-offs as a kid, but I can see how they would've easily lost the spirit of the original film by aging them up.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • WWW
^
Basilfan
 Posted: Aug 24 2013, 08:00 PM
is currently Offline.
Visit me at whatsitsgalore.com

Linda
N/A
50 posts
N/A

Group Icon

I have nothing against an Aristocats TV series, but this doesn't look like my cup of tea at all. I'm frankly glad it was scrapped.

--------------------
• PM • WWW
^
detafo
 Posted: Aug 25 2013, 04:55 AM
is currently Offline.
If I had a world of my own, Everything would be NONSENSE Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't In contrariwise, what it is, it wouldn't be And what it wouldn't be, it would, you see?

Al
Female
51 posts

Group Icon

i understand the wanting to make the old cartoons applicable to todays audiences... but can't they do it with original animation?

No offense to anyone, but the 101 dalmations tv series just pee'd be off... I had no interest in the 'phieas and ferb' style of drawing (except for things like phieas and ferb)... for the movies, I loved the original animation. Make dogs look like dogs and cats look like cats....

I dunno. Glad it was scrapped, really.

And the 'aging up' I'm really against... mainly because I remember how much I hated Quack Pack... -cough-.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL
^
Hannah
 Posted: Aug 25 2013, 10:26 AM
is currently Offline.
fate be changed, look inside, mend the bond torn by pride.

Hannah
Female
35 posts

Group Icon

QUOTE (detafo @ Aug 25 2013, 09:55 AM)

No offense to anyone, but the 101 dalmations tv series just pee'd be off... I had no interest in the 'phieas and ferb' style of drawing (except for things like phieas and ferb)... for the movies, I loved the original animation. Make dogs look like dogs and cats look like cats....

Agreed...I too disliked the animation of 101 Dalmatians series. This too looks awful to me, sorry to say.

I actually exclaimed 'no!' when I saw the title for this thread, haha.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
Freebie
 Posted: Aug 27 2013, 06:20 AM
is currently Offline.
"You two-faced son of a jackal!"

Fran
Female
248 posts

Group Icon

From an animation design perspective, those cat designs are pretty cool! Well, not so much Marie. :D

Again I would have issues with the kittens being older. Otherwise I don't think this series would have hurt too much. The design being so different that you wouldn't take it as 'canon', anyway, and you can just ignore it.

I wasn't too keen on the 101 Dalmatians series at first, which such additions as the odd Cadpig with the big head, but I now can see it had a kind of charm and was rather funny (from what I saw of the feature-length Dalmatian Vacation episode). Got to allow for differing approaches to cartoons for television and for film. :)

--------------------
user posted image
Sig thanks to Miss Mandz!
• PM
^
faya27
 Posted: Sep 2 2013, 09:15 PM
is currently Offline.
Always let your conscience be your guide!

Minnie
N/A
110 posts
N/A

Group Icon

I think the tv show sounded like fun! I like the designs for the characters. Even though it's modern, the cats are still recognizable.
I don't like the idea of them being aged up though. THAT would definitely be straying away from the film. Nor am I thrilled about Duchess and O'Malley not being present, either. Was it because they couldn't find somebody to top Phil Harris and Eva Gardner?

--------------------
• PM
^
Lady Snark
 Posted: Sep 3 2013, 03:44 AM
is currently Offline.
no matter how confident they are, at the end they are nothing but empty shells...And all shells eventually will crack, sooner or later.

Cat
N/A
16 posts
N/A

Group Icon

My least favorite Disney film getting an animated series...Yay. wink.gif

Anyways, doesn't seem a project I'd be interested in- the designs aren't that bad, but the premise sounds awful- that, and I really dislike in certain Disney sequels/series when they get rid of one of the main characters/turned parents only so that the kids/sidekicks can take the spotlight (Jungle Cubs, Talespin, Lady and the Tramp II, 101 Dalmatians 2 and series, Hunchback II...Even Ducktales, which I liked, had something like this with Donald).

So yeah, glad it was scrapped.
• PM
^
flyakite
 Posted: Sep 4 2013, 04:44 PM
is currently Offline.
Let's go fly a kite Up to the highest height Let's go fly a kite And send it soaring

Dawn
Female
138 posts

Group Icon

For me, to turn a movie into a television show, every detail needs to be spot on, and this misses the mark in more ways than one.

I don't like that they're teen kittens. Reading this article gave me flashbacks to the Rugrats' spinoff series All Grown Up. I couldn't do it. And I don't like the rest of the plot line either. I understand Marie seems to have more fans, but she isn't the star of the movie so I don't think she should be the sole star of the show with her brothers in supporting roles. And if the plot line was straying too much from the initial movie, I really don't see the point.

But the second I read Duchess and O'Malley wouldn't be featured, that was the moment I was grateful that this show was scrapped. How can you just dump those two characters and replace them?

As for the design, I actually quite like it, though I really don't want to. It's just so different from the original animation. If you're gonna turn a movie into a tv series, shouldn't you keep the look and feel of the characters the same? Ya know, stick to what people know them as. Like I could only imagine if they used this style of animation for some other show, like Aladdin or something. Though I do dig it, I do not approve for the show. The traditional animation (regarding all the movies) is just so amazing so I don't know why you would stray away from that.

The verdict: glad it was canned.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Turn On The Tube | Next Newest »

topic options
new poll

THIS SKIN WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY KIERA OF WECODE, SHINE, ATF AND CAUTION with edits by MISS MANDZ.
Thanks to LIBBY of CC for assistance with the header coding!