- HOUSE POINTS - #
Minnie 0
Donald 0
Goofy 0
Pluto 0
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
new poll

The Lion Guard
Miss Mandz
 Posted: Jun 10 2014, 06:59 AM
is currently Offline.
crashin' the party ;; guess they lost my invitation

Mandy
Female
3548 posts

Group Icon

Call it “Lion King: The Next Generation.”

In a bid to draw pre-schoolers with one of its parent company’s best known properties, Disney Junior is developing a new animated series based on the 1994 animated blockbuster “The Lion King.”

“The Lion Guard” is scheduled to debut in November of 2015 on the Disney Junior programming block of the Disney Channel, as well as the 24-hour Disney Junior channel.

The series will be about Kion, the son of the now-grown “Lion King” protagonist Simba, who assembles a group of animals to help him protect the jungle prideland as part of a group called the Lion Guard.

“It’s kind of like ‘The Lion King’ meets ‘The Avengers,’” said Disney Junior general manager Nancy Kanter.

The genesis of the series came from a meeting Ms. Kanter had with Disney chief executive Robert Iger two years ago, at which the CEO suggested the preschool channel consider producing content for the 20th anniversary of “The Lion King” in 2014.

Several of Disney Junior’s successful programs, Ms. Kanter noted, have tied into the company’s “heritage,” including the Peter Pan spin-off “Jake and the Never Land Pirates” and young princess “Sofia the First,” who is taught by three fairies from “Sleeping Beauty.”

“The Lion King” has been far from dormant for the past two decades. A spinoff series called “Timon and Pumbaa” aired from 1995 through 1998 and a pair of direct-to-DVD animated films came out in 1998 and 2004. The Broadway musical “The Lion King,” directed by Julie Taymor with music by Elton John, has been running since 1997 and has earned more than $1 billion at the box office. The musical has also toured internationally since 1998.

To confirm it won’t be introducing the brand from scratch to a new generation, Disney Junior has shown early footage from the new show to young test audiences.

“They were giving us notes about how we should adjust the look of the hyenas,” said Ms. Kanter.

Disney Junior plans to launch “The Lion Guard” with an hourlong movie in November of 2015, followed by regular episodes the following January.

Disney Consumer Products, which has enjoyed success with Disney Junior over the past few years, is developing a line of “Lion King” toys to launch alongside the series.

SOURCE: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/06/09/...-the-lion-king/

SCREAMINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

I am so excited to see Lion King being introduced to a new generation!!!!!!! I wish it was Kiara or Kopa instead of Kion, but I'm sure we'll learn to love him too. And hey, lions have lots of kids. But I wonder, will Kiara and Kovu be (adults) and around too? Or do they not exist anymore? Lol.

user posted image

EDIT: Adding my thoughts. This is how I think it's going to go down. Kiara and Kovu are in line for the throne whenever Simba chooses to stand down. But this leaves Kion, Simba's youngest, without a title... and Simba with the fear that Kion may follow the same path of jealousy that Scar once took. So wise old Rafiki makes a suggestion -- give Kion something to do! Something to make him feel just as important. But never did Simba imagine that the Lion Guard game he created for his son would actually become real, when Kion actually manages to save them all. And that would be the contents of that first full length movie.

UPDATE: Kiara confirmed to be part of the series as the future Queen! General plot is also revealed. Article is a few posts down.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
anotherfallingworld
 Posted: Jun 10 2014, 12:09 PM
is currently Offline.
chocolate is a glorious thing

Ashleah
N/A
542 posts
N/A

Group Icon

Can we just appreciate how similar the cartoon style is to the actual movies? Pretty much every TV show looks wonky weird compared to the movie, but I totally thought this was just edited to have hair when I saw it on Tumblr.

Also of note: flawless head-canons.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • YIM
^
Miss Mandz
 Posted: Jun 10 2014, 12:24 PM
is currently Offline.

Mandy
Female
3548 posts

Group Icon

Kiara confirmed!

Disney Television Animation has begun production on “The Lion Guard,” an animated television movie and series that continues the story introduced 20 years ago in the acclaimed Disney animated film “The Lion King.” Geared towards kids age 2-7 and their families, “The Lion Guard” television movie will premiere in Fall 2015, and the subsequent series will debut in early 2016 on Disney Junior and Disney Channel.

The wildlife education experts at Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park will serve as consultants on “The Lion Guard” stories, which will incorporate themes of conservation, family and community while also highlighting problem-solving, creative thinking and diversity. Author and Swahili expert Sarah Mirza is the language and cultural advisor.

Nancy Kanter, Executive Vice President, Original Programming and General Manager, Disney Junior Worldwide, said, “The story of ‘The Lion King’ has deeply touched families around the world since its original theatrical release 20 years ago. We look forward to introducing a whole new generation of kids to both the Disney legacy characters and to new friends and heroes.”

“The Lion Guard” begins as Kion, the second-born cub of Simba and Nala, assumes the role of leader of the Lion Guard, a group of the bravest and brightest tasked with preserving the Pride Lands. Instead of assembling a team of young lions to serve with him, Kion challenges tradition by calling upon friends he believes are the best choices – Bunga, a fearless honey badger; Fuli, a confident cheetah; Beshte, a happy-go-lucky hippo; and Ono, an intellectual egret. Stories will include special appearances by Mufasa, Timon, Pumbaa, Rafiki, Zazu and Kion’s older sister, Kiara, the future Queen of the Pride Lands.

“The Lion Guard” movie and series were developed by Ford Riley (“Special Agent Oso”), who also serves as executive producer. Howy Parkins (“Jake and the Never Land Pirates”) is director. Christopher Willis (“Mickey Mouse”) is the composer.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
Freebie
 Posted: Aug 12 2014, 12:03 PM
is currently Offline.
"You two-faced son of a jackal!"

Fran
Female
248 posts

Group Icon

Old news now, but yeah, I was excited about this one. :D I hope they give it some depth... for what they can do for a tots-aimed show.

All these cubs with hair tufts... makes cub Simba seem so naked on top now. XD

--------------------
user posted image
Sig thanks to Miss Mandz!
• PM
^
Miss Mandz
 Posted: Jan 28 2015, 10:55 AM
is currently Offline.

Mandy
Female
3548 posts

Group Icon

Haven't heard any new news about this, but I did stumble across the logo, which was included in a Disney tv commercial spot.

user posted image

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
Miss Mandz
 Posted: Feb 15 2015, 12:01 PM
is currently Offline.

Mandy
Female
3548 posts

Group Icon

We finally have a first look at the other characters!

user posted image

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
Miss Mandz
 Posted: May 26 2015, 09:28 AM
is currently Offline.

Mandy
Female
3548 posts

Group Icon

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/Prod...&sku=1484719123

Soooo this is a little confusing. Is this Kion's bride to be? Lol.

Also, you can catch a glimpse of Lion Guard in this Disney Channel sizzle reel!

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
Miss Mandz
 Posted: Jun 10 2015, 11:13 AM
is currently Offline.

Mandy
Female
3548 posts

Group Icon

The first preview of "The Lion Guard" will be at D23 this August!

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
Miss Mandz
 Posted: Aug 12 2015, 11:07 AM
is currently Offline.

Mandy
Female
3548 posts

Group Icon

Characters from the 1994 Walt Disney movie “The Lion King” have not been seen in new settings since a direct-to-video sequel appeared more than a decade ago. Now the company is preparing a series that will burnish the franchise to a new generation of viewers who are often harder to win.

Disney will launch “The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar,” a short primetime movie focused on the son of Simba, the hero of the original film, in November on Disney Channel. The program will follow Kion, Simba’s second-born cub, as he and a team of animals known as “The Lion Guard” try to keep the peace in the surrounding terrain. Disney intends to launch a “Lion Guard” TV series on Disney Channel and Disney Junior outlets around the world in early 2016.

The program has been about four years in the making, said Nancy Kanter, executive vice president of original programming and general manger of Disney Junior Worldwide, in a recent interview. “We were really trying to make sure, from a production value, that we could get as close to the feel of the movie as we possibly can. I think people will be sort of amazed at just how beautiful it really looks,” she said.  “Some of the artists on the series have in fact worked on the original movies.”

Disney’s new attempt to make “Lion King” roar suggests that no matter how many  ways media companies devise to corral a young viewership increasingly flocking to mobile tablets and on-demand streaming, they still count on storytelling and iconic characters. “The Lion King” is arguably one of Walt Disney’s sturdiest pieces of content, perhaps its best known property other than ”Aladdin” not made by its Pixar studio in the era leading up to 2013’s “Frozen.” It spawned two direct-to-video sequels, a Saturday-morning cartoon show, and a long-running Broadway play, among other extensions.

“’Lion King,’ it goes without saying is probably one of the most beloved movies and set of characters that the company has in the last 25 years,” said Kanter.

Disney has teed up other properties that may evoke familiar feelings. A reboot of “Duck Tales” is slated to appear on Disney XD in 2017. A series based on the 2010 film “Tangled” is scheduled to debut on Disney Channel that same year. At Time Warner, Cartoon Network has announced it will revive sci-fi series “Ben 10” and unveil new cartoons featuring Bugs Bunny and Scooby-Doo on its Boomerang network.

In the new series, Kion breaks tradition by forming“The Lion Guard” out of a varied group of animal friends he thinks are heroic. Typically, only the bravest, strongest lions in the African savanna can be members.  In the movie and the TV episodes that follow, the crew will learn how to use unique abilities to solve problems while introducing young viewers to new kinds of fauna.

The show is likely to appeal not just to kids, but to parents who saw the film in their youth. The executive producer, Ford Riley, got his start working on the Saturday-morning cartoon, based on some of the “Lion King” characters, that initially ran on CBS in the mid-1990s, said Kanter. To get all the details right for the new program, Disney consulted with wildlife education experts at its Animal Kingdom theme park about the characteristics of the various animals who appear in the program, and also tapped the knowledge of Sarah Mirza, an author and Swahili expert.

James Earl Jones and Ernie Sabella will reprise their roles from “The Lion King” as Mufasa and Pumbaa, respectively. Rob Lowe will give voice to Simba and Gabrielle Union will play his wife, Nala. Max Charles stars as Kion. Joshua Rush will give voice to Kion’s best friend Bunga, a fearless honey badger. Atticus Shaffer plays Ono, an intellectual egret. Diamond White will play Fuli, a confident cheetah. Dusan Brown will voice Beshte, a good-spirited hippo.

“We’ve gotten very positive responses” via social media, Kanter said. “People are curious to see what we will keep from the original story and what will be new. I’m really confident even the Disney die-hards are going to be fans.” She will get a chance to test her prediction on August 16, when Disney offers a preview of the movie at its D23 Expo in Anaheim, California.

SOURCE: http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/lion-king-...ney-1201567908/

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
Miss Mandz
 Posted: Aug 16 2015, 06:30 PM
is currently Offline.

Mandy
Female
3548 posts

Group Icon

Extended clip from D23

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
Freebie
 Posted: Aug 24 2015, 12:50 PM
is currently Offline.
"You two-faced son of a jackal!"

Fran
Female
248 posts

Group Icon

How embarrassed am I going to feel when I start recording the episodes on the FAMILY TV? :p

Some of the animation, like with the lip sync is kind of iffy, the cheetah's design isn't great and looks more leopard, and that honeybadger might irritate me... but it's TLK so of course I'm going to want to watch it! :D And what I do notice and respect is there is still an attention to the appearance of the whole thing. Much nicer standards than has been expected with modern cartoons.

Looking forward to the possible merchandising, namely any Kion soft toys!

--------------------
user posted image
Sig thanks to Miss Mandz!
• PM
^
Miss Mandz
 Posted: Oct 10 2015, 07:53 AM
is currently Offline.

Mandy
Female
3548 posts

Group Icon

user posted image

WELP we're confirmed for the series taking place during the events of TLK2, rather than after :( I'm sad because I really wanted annoying but wise older sister Kiara. (And, you know, continuity) BUT I'll still watch. And at least we'll (hopefully) get more character development for Kiara here.

I do like that there's another female cub (romance for Kion? Or Kiara's friend?) though it does take away from the whole "Kiara grew up as the only cub and that's why she needed freedom" sort of deal.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
Miss Mandz
 Posted: Nov 12 2015, 07:25 AM
is currently Offline.

Mandy
Female
3548 posts

Group Icon

Two new sneak peek clips!

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/50551/dis...the-roar-video/

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/sneak-peek-rob-low...-155927580.html

"DAD NO WE ALREADY HAD THAT TALK. Can you feel the love tonight and all that mushy stuff" http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc380/fantasmicroleplay/Smilies/laugh3.gif

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
Miss Mandz
 Posted: Nov 23 2015, 05:34 PM
is currently Offline.

Mandy
Female
3548 posts

Group Icon

Okay, so I am in the process of expanding my thoughts into a full Moviepilot article, but here was my immediate Facebook post after watching the show last night!

Disney Junior has one again proved that they are the superior Disney Channel. It has been eleven years since we last visited the Pridelands, and ‪#‎TheLionGuard‬ did not disappoint. From that very familiar sunrise opening and on, I was absolutely hooked. While obviously geared towards the 'junior' fans, The Lion Guard is still very capable of enchanting the adult fans of the original series.

Not only are we getting to check in with old friends from the films, but we get to meet new ones, featuring a WHOLE bunch of animals that TLK hasn't really shone a spotlight upon yet. Vultures, cheetahs, egrets, hippos, honey badgers. Hyenas are also getting a chance to shine on their own, without a lion standing over them. And best of all? The show does not shy away from the very important topic of conservation. Not only are we introducing a new generation to The Lion King, but we are introducing them to the Circle Of Life, and how hunting for sport/taking more than you need damages the balance.

I cannot WAIT for the tv series to begin in January. And I really hope that The Lion Guard takes up residence at Animal Kingdom. Would love to see them included at Rafiki's Planet Watch, as new representatives of animal conservation!

It doesn't matter that this show is being aired on Disney Junior. Its for kids AND kids at heart. And it's definitely worth the watch! Especially if you're a Lion King fan

Also if you follow me on Tumblr, I apologize for all the TLG spam in advance. XD

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
Miss Mandz
 Posted: Dec 10 2015, 10:09 AM
is currently Offline.

Mandy
Female
3548 posts

Group Icon

Following huge ratings for its precursor TV movie, Disney’s “The Lion Guard” series will premiere Friday, Jan. 15 at 9:30 a.m., the kids’ cabler announced on Wednesday.

Disney also announced the recurring voice cast, which includes Blair Underwood, Ana Gasteyer and Maia Mitchell.

“The Lion Guard” follows the adventures of Kion (voiced by Max Charles), the second-born cub of Simba (Rob Lowe) and Nala (Gabrielle Union), and his diverse group of friends, each with a unique skill, as they unite to protect the Pride Lands.

Underwood (“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”) will play Makuu, leader of the crocodiles and one of the Lion Guard’s main villains; Ana Gasteyer (“The Goldbergs”) will play Reirei, a clever and scheming jackal who wreaks havoc in the Pride Lands; and Maia Mitchell (“The Fosters,” “Teen Beach Movie”) will lend her voice to Jasiri, a friendly hyena who rescues Kion and helps him face off against Janja and the rest of the hyenas. All three recurring stars are already in the Disney/ABC family, per their aforementioned shows.

Jason Marsden, Andy Dick and Lacey Chabert, who voiced characters in the 1998 direct-to-video “Lion King” sequel movie, “The Lion King II: Simba’s Pride,” will also reprise their characters for one episode in the new animated series, which marks the first revival since “Simba’s Pride” almost two decades ago.

The January series debut of “Lion Guard” comes after the Nov. 22 hourlong movie, “The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar,” which averaged 5.358 million viewers on the Disney Channel. The family-viewing telepic ranked as the No. 1 primetime cable telecast of 2015 among kids 2-5 (1.4 million), the No. 1 animated telecast across kid cable-TV networks in total viewers, 18-49 and kids 2-11, and the No. 1 rated cable TV telecast among girls 2-5 (893,000) since the company’s own “Sofia the First” primetime special in November 2014.

Following the Jan. 15 debut, the premiere episode will encore throughout the weekend on both the Disney Channel and Disney Junior.

SOURCE: http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-lion-g...ary-1201657485/

We. Are. Getting. OUTLANDERS. Kovu, Nuka, VITANIIII.

Though Marsden pulling off YOUNG Kovu will be interesting.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Disney Junior | Next Newest »

topic options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
new poll

THIS SKIN WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY KIERA OF WECODE, SHINE, ATF AND CAUTION with edits by MISS MANDZ.
Thanks to LIBBY of CC for assistance with the header coding!