Donald 9
Goofy 12
Pluto 19

new poll

VII Spoiler Room, (post spoilers HERE)
Miss Mandz
 Posted: Dec 18 2015, 09:40 AM
is currently Offline.
Oh, sing sweet nightingale, sing sweet nightingale, hi-i-i-i-i...

Mandy
Female
3402 posts

Group Icon

To help our friends who might not get to see the film until the holiday season is over, we ask that all spoilers and reviews stick to THIS thread until at least Jan 1st! (I was spoiled in a most ridiculous place.. Facebook comments on Conan O'Brien's page! Darn you internet.)

So anyway, enjoy... and may the Force be with you!

--------------------
n o g r a c e , n o p o i s e

• PM • EMAIL • WWW • AIM • MSN
^
Dust Keeper Girl
 Posted: Dec 18 2015, 04:45 PM
is currently Offline.
with a smile and a song

Jenna
Female
266 posts

Group Icon

I am having trouble making my thoughts intelligible since this movie freaking destroyed me, but in summary:

PROS:
my new boyfriend FINN.
Rey is so cool. O: She is definitely Luke's daughter!!!
BB-8 needs to be a plushie. Now.
HAN. CHEWIE. LEIA. C3PO.
Poe is pretty rad. I wanna know more about him!
The dialogue was SO GREAT. So many references to the original trilogy and the dynamics between the old and new characters were amazing.
The effects were spectacular!!

CONS:
WHY WOULD YOU SEPARATE HAN AND LEIA. WHY.
MORE THAN ONCE.
HAN.
CHEWIE.
LEIA.
NO.
I mean Kylo Ren was a cool villain but HE'S GROUNDED. FOR LIFE.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
Miss Mandz
 Posted: Dec 21 2015, 12:41 PM
is currently Offline.

Mandy
Female
3402 posts

Group Icon

Ah yes. Perhaps pro and con list would be the best way to get thoughts out. xD

PRO:
  • The new trio.
  • Story flow (with one exception, see below)
  • Nods to the original trilogy. Quotes, places, expressions, items, scenery, music. Even the cinematography itself. The movie felt very ... old/not something made with 2015 technology. But in the good way. An amazing way.
  • Nods to the trashed EU as well. See later notes.
  • Dialogue, as Jenna mentioned. Very first trilogy, very quotable.
  • Good balance between serious and camp/humor.
CON:
  • Han's death.
  • NO CHANCE OF ORIGINAL TRIO REUNION.
  • Once it went down, Han's death went TOO fast. I was spoiled on this plot point unfortunately, so I knew it was coming. But once he was skewered it... stopped working for me. Him reaching to touch Ben's face was perf, but... the slow slide off the lightsaber, the strange tumble into the abyss (which was the only place I felt the special effects DIDN'T work) ... I don't know. It just didn't feel right. But Chewie going nuts after was perfect and in character and expected.
  • They missed the opportunity for Han and Leia's last words to each other to be Han saying "I love you" and Leia saying "I know." Like I was SO expecting it, I was actually shocked that it didn't happen. That was a huge missed opportunity that would have been a good way to end their last interaction.
So yeah. Obviously, Han's death was the main issue for me. but not so much that it happened... just execution. Harrison Ford has wanted out since the second movie, and as far as having a big name death, his was the one that made the most sense. Coming in from the first announcement of this film, we all knew that the original trio was only coming back to ease us in with the new one. I wasn't sure if they would even come back for the second and third films. So losing one of them, Han in particular, made sense, and drove the plot forward and will no doubt continue to do so. Regardless, though they did what they could with having it be right in the middle of other important things, it still felt rushed. HOWEVER, I thought I would be a lot angrier at the lack of grieving time (as I was told there wasn't much), but the way it was done made it work well enough. So... yeah.

But I'm still very sad we will get no Luke, Leia and Han scenes now,

Time for the EU nods. This ties into my theories as far as parentage goes for Rey. In the EU, Han and Leia's twins are Jacen and Jaina. Both jedi, until Jacen turns to the dark side. (Where he kills several family members, including his aunt/Luke's wife.) Jaina is ultimately forced to kill him.

The obvious theory on Rey's mysterious parentage is... she is Han and Leia's daughter, and the twin sister of Ben/Kylo Ren. As another strong force-sensitive being, strong enough to stand up to Ren without training, it seems fair to predict that she has Skywalker blood in her. (Be she Leia or Luke's daughter.) The fact that her abandonment was included as part of her force vision suggests that it is going to be important later on. Throw in her instant attachment to Han and vice versa, and the fact that Daisy Ridley looks very much like Natalie Portman...

But why would Han and Leia abandon her/not mention another child? It's very possible they weren't aware she had lived, and that she was whisked away to be hidden as a safeguard for a rainy day. Thus, Han and Leia focused on their remaining child... and were destroyed when they lost him, too.

Other option is that she is Luke's. We don't know if the Jedi code is still active (since Leia isn't a married jedi here like in the EU), but if it is... it's possible Luke had a moment of weakness at some point and produced an illegitimate daughter. Either he knew about her, or he didn't. If he did, maybe he hid her to protect her from being a target of his enemies. If he didn't know, then maybe the mother sold her off for not caring.

Regardless, I do think Rey is related to ONE of the Skywalker twins, and is either Ben's sister or cousin. But which of these remains to be seen. I also think Finn is Lando's son, as instead of letting us assume he was just some random baby born for service as a stormtrooper, they made it a point to mention that he had been 'whisked away from a family he never knew'. Which to me, says we'll be coming back around to that in a later chapter.

The other EU nod was the name Ben being used for a Skywalker offspring. In the books, it was Luke and Mara Jade's son. But it worked great here, and I literally gasped when it was revealed. Like thanks for that stab in the feels.

But yes.

Star Wars 1-3: Padawan vs. Master (or brother vs brother/friend vs friend cause brotp)
Star Wars 4-6: Son vs. Father
Star Wars 7-9: Sister vs. Brother (or cousin vs cousin)

And that is what I think.

All that said, however?

user posted image

--------------------

^
Dust Keeper Girl
 Posted: Dec 21 2015, 09:33 PM
is currently Offline.
with a smile and a song

Jenna
Female
266 posts

Group Icon

I'm at least 90% sure Rey is Luke's daughter, but if I'm wrong I don't really care as much. If Finn, on the other hand, turns out to be related to Lando, I'm going to be upset. So far we've had only Mace Windu and Lando when it comes to black male characters, and I have to believe that the galaxy of Star Wars, however far far away, is big enough to hold more than two black families. Also, with Ben Solo and Rey Skywalker/Solo, if that's who she turns out to be, we have enough family relations in this movie franchise as it is.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
anotherfallingworld
 Posted: Dec 27 2015, 11:39 PM
is currently Offline.
chocolate is a glorious thing

Ashleah
N/A
542 posts
N/A

Group Icon

I HAVE A LOT OF FEELINGS AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THEM

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • YIM
^
Miss Mandz
 Posted: Dec 29 2015, 01:30 PM
is currently Offline.

Mandy
Female
3402 posts

Group Icon

QUOTE (anotherfallingworld @ Dec 28 2015, 12:39 AM)
I HAVE A LOT OF FEELINGS AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THEM

Join the club. WE HAVE TSHIRTS. http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc380/fantasmicroleplay/Smilies/laugh3.gif

--------------------

^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | LucasFilms | Next Newest »

topic options
new poll

THIS SKIN WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY KIERA OF WECODE, SHINE, ATF AND CAUTION with edits by MISS MANDZ.
Thanks to LIBBY of CC for assistance with the header coding!