- HOUSE POINTS - #
Minnie 16
Donald 9
Goofy 12
Pluto 19
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
new poll

Frozen is heading to broadway!
Miss Mandz
 Posted: Jan 13 2014, 12:49 PM
is currently Offline.
Oh, sing sweet nightingale, sing sweet nightingale, hi-i-i-i-i...

Mandy
Female
3402 posts

Group Icon

The day after Frozen won a Golden Globe for best animated film, Walt Disney CEO and chairman Bob Iger confirmed to Fortune that the company wants the unconventional princess story to become a Broadway musical.

Iger said Disney was currently in discussions to adapt the box office success for Broadway audiences, but declined to give a timeframe. “We’re not demanding speed,” he said. “We’re demanding excellence.”

Frozen is Disney’s biggest hit at the box office in almost 20 years. It was the number one all-time Disney animation debut and has grossed $669 million so far — and that’s before opening in huge markets like China or Japan. It will soon pass The Lion King in overall box office numbers.

The movie’s soundtrack is also the number one album on both Amazon and iTunes. Not since the days of Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast has Disney seen such commercial and critical success from a musical. (That estimation, of course, doesn’t include Pixar movies like Toy Story and Finding Nemo.)

The next obvious step, then, is to take the songs to Broadway. And that’s not all. Iger told Fortune that because the movie has “franchise potential” we can expect toys, clothes, theme park rides and even sequels based on the film’s characters.

SOURCE: http://entertainment.time.com/2014/01/13/f...ed-to-broadway/

--------------------
n o g r a c e , n o p o i s e

• PM • EMAIL • WWW • AIM • MSN
^
Savannah
 Posted: Jan 13 2014, 02:00 PM
is currently Offline.
You're never too old to be young.

Savannah
Female
276 posts

Group Icon

I can't wait to see what songs they add. I hope we get a much-needed one for the finale, as you mentioned in the main Frozen thread.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • WWW
^
Miss Mandz
 Posted: Jan 13 2014, 02:04 PM
is currently Offline.

Mandy
Female
3402 posts

Group Icon

Yes! Also, Kristoff and Hans need songs. Hans at LEAST needs a reprise of "Love Is An Open Door" when he reveals himself. As for Kristoff... he needs his deleted number when he goes back to save Anna.

Also, I really want there to be a song for Kristoff and Anna when they are in the sled talking about true love and stuff. I was gunna write that as part of my fanmade musical script haha. But it seems like a great place for a number!

--------------------

^
Savannah
 Posted: Jan 13 2014, 03:02 PM
is currently Offline.

Savannah
Female
276 posts

Group Icon

I'm for all of your ideas, except the early Kristoff/Anna duet. I don't know, I just like the idea of Kristoff being the stuffy character who refuses to sing until the climax.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • WWW
^
Miss Mandz
 Posted: Jan 13 2014, 03:33 PM
is currently Offline.

Mandy
Female
3402 posts

Group Icon

I can certainly see that too! Him trudging around ala Robert from Enchanted, only singing "Reindeer Are Better Than People", and then finally singing at the end on the way to save Anna like the film originally intended. And then everyone would be "Gasp dat voice" lol

--------------------

^
justanna
 Posted: Jan 13 2014, 05:09 PM
is currently Offline.
so i'm an extra button on a coat

TAY
N/A
23 posts
N/A

Group Icon

Oh. My. GOD.

Crying. CRYING.

This is the best possible news I could have gotten. I will be there opening night whenever it is. Can I just say that I really hope they include "More Than Just the Spare" and potentially add a reprise of "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" from Elsa's point of view (there is one going around tumblr that turns me into a puddle of emotion). Guys.

GUYS.

But it will be so difficult for me to wrap my head around the fact that Anna an Elsa will not be Kristen and Idina. Unless they're invited to do their roles. Who knows. But Kristen's so involved in television and movies, it's likely she won't reprise Anna. Which makes me a sad, sad panda.

But honestly, this does not surprise me. Every time I have gone to the theatres to see it, the audience has applauded at the end. It's honestly like going to see a Broadway musical. I can only imagine how amazing it will be translated to the stage through the use of Broadway magic. Ugh. UGH. It's going to be beautiful and glorious. *curls into a ball*

--------------------
user posted image
• PM
^
mickeymouse
 Posted: Jan 13 2014, 06:04 PM
is currently Offline.
If you can dream it you can do it! Check me out @takemebacktodisneyworld on instagram :)

Jenn
N/A
1 posts
N/A

Group Icon

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS I'VE HEARD IN FOREVER I'M SO EXCITED!

Maybe if it takes a while to actually get to broadway I can audition for it tongue.gif
Hopefully they give us a time frame soon!
• PM • EMAIL
^
LadyJ
 Posted: Jan 13 2014, 06:27 PM
is currently Offline.
Writing My Fairytale

Jessica
Female
363 posts

Group Icon

CALLED IT! I knew once the movie was such a success there was no way we weren't getting a musical.

So my Wshlist

Music:

Little Anna and Elsa's conversation in the bedroom should be sung to the tune of “Do You Want To Build A Snowman?”

They should sing the cut song “We Know Better” during their playtime in the indoor Snow only to get cut off when Elsa strikes Anna.

I want “More Than Just The Spare” re-inserted.

I’d love if they could squeeze “You’re You” in too.

A bad-ass villain song for Hans unless they go the alternative character route I mention later. In which case just another solo.

At least one more solo for Elsa and a duet or two for her and Anna.

A real solo for Kristoff and at least one duet for him and Anna.

I’m sorry but I really hope “Fixer-Upper”gets cut. See below for why.

A reprise of Do You Want to Build A Snowman?

A big energetic finale with a shameless Disney Chorus.

Characters:

More Elsa, more Anna, more Hans, more Kristoff, in that order.

Elsa-More of her side of things and what she’s thinking/feeling. Considering she’s the standout (well her and Olaf) I think that’s a given.

Anna-just delving a bit more into her personality and insecurities.

Hans-A more clear read on his character. The movie sacrifices logic for its ‘twist’ (complete with ‘cheats’ such as Hans maintaining the façade when no one can see him or it’s illogical to do so). The reveal should come earlier. There’s also the alternative (given the movie’s morals about giving people a chance etc.) of making him less villainous and having him be a genuinely good guy who makes some bad calls and wasn’t truly in love with Anna yet. He could be as shocked as anybody the kiss fails and go after Elsa in a misguided sense of revenge or something.

Kristoff-Dude is cute, but he’s very underdeveloped and needs a more distinct personality than ‘Blond Mountain-man Flynn.’ He doesn’t have the same material desires, but his speaking patterns and interactions with Anna are really similar.

I hope Sven and the trolls are cut. Can you tell I don’t love the trolls? Their design is neat but Grand Pabbie basically caused Elsa’s isolation with some ill-thought out advice to her terrified parents. I also really look askance at their wanting to “get the fiancé out of the way” to hook up Anna and Kristoff. Yes Hans is evil, but they don’t know that. And they don’t seem all that interested in what Anna actually thinks about the whole thing. Kristoff is a sweetie but that doesn’t mean Anna has to love him or that he ‘deserves’ her affection. Stop promoting ‘Nice Guy’ Syndrome, trolls.

Plot: Less mountain hijinks and for them to seriously tweak the climax for more action, feels, and wonder. I think Elsa striking Anna in the heart would be a good Act 1 finale.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL
^
justanna
 Posted: Jan 13 2014, 07:24 PM
is currently Offline.

TAY
N/A
23 posts
N/A

Group Icon

^ I agree with most of this. Except You're You, because I feel like it's too genuine of a song and Hans is not at all genuine about his feelings for Anna. But I do agree he needs a villain song. Perhaps right after he's locked Anna away to freeze to death. Because I love that they waited until the last possible minute to reveal his intentions. Everyone was SO blindsided, and that's what I love about him as a villain. You do not expect it at all. Plus I think he keeps the charade up because he's still in Arendelle, and let's not forget that his endgame is to become their king. So he has to stay charming, and make it all seem like one big huge dramatic, unfortunate mistake that Anna and Elsa "died" and he had to take over the throne with a heavy heart.

I love Fixer Upper so I kind of hope it stays. I agree 100% that Kristoff and Anna need a duet together, even if it's a small one, and Kristoff should get a solo song. Ugh yes to We Know Better being re-inserted because it's just so precious. I think the Do You Want To Build A Snowman (Reprise) should go right after Anna has frozen - during that long silence. Sven... I'd love for him to stay but I don't know how he could in the format of a Broadway show. Unless they pull off something miraculous. Which they could. I mean it's Disney for crying out loud.

Yeeees to the end of Act 1 and a big chorus finale of feels.

Just my own personal opinions though, everyone's gonna want something different out of this. And no matter what they do, it's going to be brilliant!!!

--------------------
user posted image
• PM
^
LadyJ
 Posted: Jan 13 2014, 08:12 PM
is currently Offline.
Writing My Fairytale

Jessica
Female
363 posts

Group Icon

Tay, it's actually funny that you say that about "You're You" because I thought it gave way more hints than "Love Is An Open Door."

Other people walk through life where you prefer to skip
And other people watch their step where you'll most likely trip
Sure, your hair's not perfect,
And there'sーwhat's that on your clothes?
Yeah, you're kinda talkative
With freckles on your nose.

Everything he's just said is an insult. Presented charmingly, but still

But you're you...you-you,
And that's what makes me smile.
You're you...you-you
So stay that way awhile.

Why is he smiling? Because he thinks he just got the keys to the kingdom, since Anna's naivete leaves her open to his advances.

Anna: Oh, Hans... I-

Hans: You don't have to say a thing, I know the way you feel.
Your face is like an open book; so honest true and real.
Other people lie and cheat,
One push may come to shove.
Your heart doesn't work like that,
So you're the girl I love.

Then when Anna tries to say something he cuts her off. Why? Because he doesn't really care what she thinks. Open book=easy target. "Other people lie and cheat." Hmmm...like say, you, Hans? More like, "Your heart doesn't work like that, so you won't see me coming."

You're you...you-you,
That's how I hope you stay.
You're you...you-you.
But anyway, that's all I've got to say.

Yeah, he hopes she won't catch on to his plan.

Plus I think he keeps the charade up because he's still in Arendelle,

No I'm not talking about how he acts around other people. There's specific moments where literally no one can see him, like when he sighs underneath the boat, or when he's hanging from the side of the ice stairway where it doesn't make sense for him to have his nice face on. I just have a hard time buying he can keep the puppyface going while he's dangling form the side of a cliff about to die. YMMV.

I think the villainous Prince Charming is a great twist in concept, but IMO the execution is rushed and flawed, and the writers and animators cheat to make it a *gasp* moment, which unfortunately undermines it for me on re-watch rather than have those moments where you can go, 'Ahh yeah, there's the mask slip.' And because it's at the eleventh hour there's no time to really get into the depths of the 'real' Hans, which is a shame. Because if they'd given up the 'gotcha' for logical character progression (and maybe a badass musical number), he could have been one of the all-time great villains.

All of this is just my take of course, and everyone should rock on with their own feels.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL
^
Savannah
 Posted: Jan 13 2014, 10:46 PM
is currently Offline.

Savannah
Female
276 posts

Group Icon

QUOTE (LadyJ @ Jan 13 2014, 07:27 PM)
I also really look askance at their wanting to “get the fiancé out of the way” to hook up Anna and Kristoff. Yes Hans is evil, but they don’t know that. And they don’t seem all that interested in what Anna actually thinks about the whole thing. Kristoff is a sweetie but that doesn’t mean Anna has to love him or that he ‘deserves’ her affection. Stop promoting ‘Nice Guy’ Syndrome, trolls.

I agree completely on Fixer Upper; that was painful to watch, especially in a movie that they kept promoting as progressive. I don't mind the concept of the trolls, but they needed to address what they did wrong, not just use them as plot devices.

I disagree on revealing Hans earlier though. I think the moment where it happened was great, but I do hope they hint more at his true nature on stage.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • WWW
^
justanna
 Posted: Jan 13 2014, 10:59 PM
is currently Offline.

TAY
N/A
23 posts
N/A

Group Icon

All very valid and well-explained points! :) Either way both songs take a lot of reading into to get the villain vibe. I guess I just never really liked You're You either, though I'm not really sure why. Love Is An Open Door is a catchier tune imo, and also contains elements of his villainy - I believe Kristen Anderson-Lopez actually made a comment somewhere referring to it as a love song disguised as his villain song. Motioning to Arendelle during the line "I've been searching my whole life to find my own place", alluding to the fact that he intends Arendelle to become his. The way he sneaks up behind her on the tower foreshadowing him stabbing her in the back later on when she least expects it. Their dance on the clock tower is seemingly just the robot, and is for Anna, but for Hans it represents his mechanical behaviour. He doesn't mean anything that's being sung or said, and is acting very much like a robot without any sort of feeling.

They both have villainous elements, but I guess I just enjoy Love Is An Open Door a bit more. I even bought You're You as a genuine song, so it's likely the audience would too, unless they decide to analyze things as much as we do. XD

Also I believe a part of Hans was genuine in the beginning. Before he realized how desperate she was, and how easy that would make his plan. He was very apologetic and kind to her, and seemingly taken with her before she even introduced herself as Princess Anna of Arendelle. Her being the Princess was just icing on the cake. At that point, he was still going to try to woo Elsa, but as he said, "no one was getting anywhere with her." Maybe he was still trying to work on Elsa until the ball, where he realized it was futile and then decided to go after Anna. She never had to die. Elsa was the only one who had to die to make his plan work - he was planning to stage an accident. Anna would then become Queen and thusly, Hans would become the King Consort. But when she threw herself into danger and came to him at the end, already dying, he likely might have just figured "... eh, why not?" Because he's a jerky jerkface.

OR CONTRARILY, he could have smiled because he was like "ahah, my plan just got so much easier."

Who knows though. XD No one will ever really know why he did all of those things. Why he smiled there, why he kept up the charade when he didn't need to. Doesn't matter though, because all of it was effective in blindsiding us.

But either way, while I love the revealing moment at the end, I would also like to see a moment, even if it's subtle, where you see his "nice guy" facade falter and catch a glimpse of his intentions.

But like we all say. These are our own feels. XD

And on the note of Fixer Upper, while I do believe that it was kind of poorly placed within the film and maybe could have been better replaced with a duet between Anna and Kristoff somewhere, I thought it was a cute number and I enjoyed it. Mostly because that's sort of the moment when Anna starts to realize what love actually means, when Bulda sings "We're not saying you can change him, because people don't really change. We're only saying that love's a force that's powerful and strange." I think it's a large part of her slowly coming to the realization of what love is actually supposed to be, confirmed later on in the fireside scene with Olaf. But that could have been plopped in a very different sort of song, and worked just as well. So. We'll see what they do with all of it! 8D

--------------------
user posted image
• PM
^
Buffy
 Posted: Jan 14 2014, 01:08 AM
is currently Offline.
Remember Who You Are

Linda
Female
33 posts

Group Icon

FROZEN ON BROADWAY?! I'M SO EXCITED! WHEEE!
Definitely going to need to make my way to New York to see it... somehow. I'll find a way!

Lots of valid points and ideas in this thread. Personally, I can see all of them working out in some way. As of right now I don't have anything to add to the wishlist besides hoping they find a way to incorporate Sven in a good, convincing way. Can't imagine adding a reindeer to a musical is easy.

This is wonderful news! Can't wait to hear/read more about it as it develops. And hopefully I'll get a chance to see it when it comes out.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM
^
LadyJ
 Posted: Jan 14 2014, 05:27 PM
is currently Offline.
Writing My Fairytale

Jessica
Female
363 posts

Group Icon

I definitely get where everyone's coming from even if my own ideas are slightly different. :)

And I totally agree that Love Is An Open Door is a better/catchier song overall.

So does anyone have any casting wants?

Possible Elsas or Annas if we can't have Idina and Kristen::Sierra Boggess, Laura Osnes, Sutton Foster, Megan Hilty.

All these actresses I think could handle either part.

Hans: Santino, Santino, Santino. "Nuff said.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL
^
Mare
 Posted: Jan 14 2014, 05:29 PM
is currently Offline.
great princess of the forest

Mare
Female
178 posts

Group Icon

Really, could he be anyone else? ;) Though I'd be interested to see if they'd cast someone else and how he could pull off the Evulz.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • MSN
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | The Great White Way | Next Newest »

topic options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
new poll

THIS SKIN WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY KIERA OF WECODE, SHINE, ATF AND CAUTION with edits by MISS MANDZ.
Thanks to LIBBY of CC for assistance with the header coding!