Miss Mandz
 Posted: Mar 30 2015, 03:50 PM
is currently Offline.
crashin' the party ;; guess they lost my invitation

Mandy
Female
3548 posts

Group Icon

Following Cinderella’s recent box-office success, Walt Disney Pictures has tapped Mulan as their next Disney animated character to remake into a live-action movie. Elizabeth Martin and Lauren Hynek are set to write the screenplay, while Chris Bender and J.C. Pink will produce.

Mulan, who debuted in the 1998 Disney Animation film, is one of the company’s more iconic animated heroines. In the original movie, Mulan told the tale of a young woman who takes her ailing father’s place in the ancient Chinese military. Posing a man in the male-only army, Mulan must save her country from the invading Huns.

Mulan continues Disney’s recent trend of adapting its classic cartoons into live-action films. So far, the studio has released a live-action version of Alice in Wonderland, Maleficent and Cinderella. A live-action version of Beauty and the Beast, starring Emma Watson, will hit theaters in March 2017.

No release date was announced, but stay tuned for more updates.

SOURCE: http://comicbook.com/2015/03/30/disney-ann...n-mulan-remake/

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
Savannah
 Posted: Mar 30 2015, 06:15 PM
is currently Offline.
You're never too old to be young.

Savannah
Female
276 posts

Group Icon

I still don't like this trend, but it'll be nice to see Mulan get some well-deserved attention at Disney.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • WWW
^
anotherfallingworld
 Posted: Mar 31 2015, 12:30 PM
is currently Offline.
chocolate is a glorious thing

Ashleah
N/A
542 posts
N/A

Group Icon

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/03/31/dis...external,manual

KHBGFKJYRKTUNSRUHSREHTHTRSEHV4KYTEK7RYTKU7YREJUHKTESJ7KYR6JUTE

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • YIM
^
Miss Mandz
 Posted: Apr 1 2015, 12:04 PM
is currently Offline.

Mandy
Female
3548 posts

Group Icon

That would be a good cast. I'm also totally okay with Jamie Chung as Mulan. She's been great with the role on Once.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
Savannah
 Posted: Apr 1 2015, 12:48 PM
is currently Offline.
You're never too old to be young.

Savannah
Female
276 posts

Group Icon

I didn't like how OUAT portrayed Mulan, but that was more a problem with the writing than the actress. In any event, I think they'll probably go with a younger actress. Hopefully someone Chinese too.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • WWW
^
Miss Mandz
 Posted: May 15 2018, 01:59 PM
is currently Offline.

Mandy
Female
3548 posts

Group Icon

What is this movie I see, staring straight back at me…because it is not the live-action adaptation of the legendary 1998 animated masterpiece, Mulan.

In recent months, Disney’s live-action Mulan has started to take shape and it is diverging from the animated film in major ways. For starters, Disney executives have been *very* cagey regarding the film not being a musical — and while it’s one thing to cut the very catchy 98 Degrees-Stevie Wonder duet, it is downright disgraceful to give “I’ll Make a Man Out of You” the axe. Which brings us to the most devastating issue of all: the disrespect of Li Shang.

A terrible rumor has been circulating that beloved warrior Li Shang would be getting cut from the live-action film, and in a move that’s truly a dishonor to us all, it appears this rumor is 100 percent true. While Donnie Yen’s casting as Mulan’s mentor Commander Tung certainly cast doubt on Shang’s inclusion in the film because, let’s face it, you don’t have an entire musical number dedicated to training the unit and not walk away as their mentor, this new casting call confirms that live-action Mulan is (*sobs*) getting a new love interest.
Twitter account nerdyasians recently uncovered and tweeted a casting description for Chen Honghui, Mulan’s new love interest and, um, are you sure this, Disney?

According to the casting call, Honghui is a cocky fellow soldier in Commander Tung’s unit who sees Mulan — in her male disguise, of course — as his chief rival in being the best warrior in the world. The casting call actually includes this description for him, “Full of himself, with a mean, bullying streak to him.” And not only is he the dictionary definition of the worst, he only stops hating on Mulan and falls in love with her when he finds out she’s a woman.

Wooooooow. You do not disrespect Shang like that, dropping the character who trained, came to respect, and maybe (ahem, probably definitely) fell in love with Mulan when she was still “Ping,” for that guy.

Honghui’s casting description literally reads like the terrible love interest who shouldn’t end up with lead at the end of the movie because she can do so much better. Imagine if Frozen 2 was like “Okay, we know Kristoff is the perfect match for Anna but we’ve decided that Han should actually be her main love interest, again.”

Multiply that by 1,000 and that’s just a fraction of what an injustice this is. The only positive thing about Honghui’s casting description is that Mulan is clearly serving up some serious skill in the live-action film.

Disney, you have two years to fix this and we suggest you get on it ASAP before Mulan hits theaters in March 2020

SOURCE: https://hellogiggles.com/news/shang-officia...t-disney-mulan/

...I don't want this. Take it back.

--------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
Twilik
 Posted: May 15 2018, 02:45 PM
is currently Offline.
Some people are worth melting for

Charlie
Male
16 posts
N/A

Group Icon

Everything I hear about this adaptation makes me sadder and sadder. Like it shouldn't be a carbon copy of the animated film, but the changes are getting ridiculous.
• PM
^
Dust Keeper Girl
 Posted: May 15 2018, 03:20 PM
is currently Offline.
with a smile and a song

Jenna
Female
321 posts

Group Icon

I'm firmly against the spree of live action remakes on principle, but I'm at least rooting for the Mulan movie because (ideally) the entire cast will be made up of Chinese actors. I really want it to succeed, but the choices they seem to be making have me going:

user posted image

It feels like they're taking everything that made the original Mulan charming and inspiring out to shoehorn a bunch of tropes in that shouldn't be in this movie.

It's also really unfair that Beauty and the Beast got a near-identical film with a few added songs/twists that didn't change it too terribly, and Cinderella had some major changes that still stayed true to the original spirit, but Mulan seems to be getting the short end of the remake stick. Why remake a classic if you're not going to give the fans what they really want to see?

/endrant
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
Twilik
 Posted: May 15 2018, 03:26 PM
is currently Offline.
Some people are worth melting for

Charlie
Male
16 posts
N/A

Group Icon

I had forgotten about the all Chinese cast, thanks for reminding me! That is one brilliant aspect of this film, that hopefully doesn't change. Fingers crossed.
• PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Coming Soon | Next Newest »

topic options
new poll

THIS SKIN WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY KIERA OF WECODE, SHINE, ATF AND CAUTION with edits by MISS MANDZ.
Thanks to LIBBY of CC for assistance with the header coding!