- HOUSE POINTS - #
Minnie 0
Donald 0
Goofy 0
Pluto 0
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
new poll

Fox's Art Corner
Asj
 Posted: Aug 29 2014, 08:17 AM
is currently Offline.
"You tricked me! You had this set up all along!"

Asj
N/A
227 posts
N/A

Group Icon

Oh, I use Photoshop CS5. ^_^ So it should be very similar.

To save something, go to File > Save for Web & Devices.
When that pop-up window comes up, make sure it's on the "optimized" tab (and not "Original"), because "optimized" is the version it will save. (but you can flip back and forth if you like, just make sure you know what you're looking at)
You can select whether to save it as a .gif, .jpg, .png... I always save things as .jpg unless it has animation in it (then a .gif) or transparency (then .png (24)).
So, if you're saving a page as a JPG, you can select a basic quality of either "low", "medium", "high", "very high", or "maximum". You can also specify the percentage qualilty (which is just to the right of there). I usually save things as "Very High" and 80% quality, but I could probably get by with less without it being noticeable. If something required a lower file size, I'd decrease it.
It's a little different for GIF's, though. For those, the main thing is how many colors there are. So, when saving something as a GIF, there's a color table, which has little swatches of every color it will use in the image. Just below the file type selection, on the right, there's a "colors" dropdown, where you can select how many colors to have in the image. The less colors, the smaller the size. Besides that, you can delete or replace colors in the color table. (I tried saving an animation awhile ago that had a lot of colors, and it just didn't look right, so I ended up deleting the whole color table and filling it with important colors. ...that took a really long time. But, it did look better than the colors they picked.)
Also important is the physical size of the image. Near the bottom, there's stuff about image size. It lets you enter in the height and width you want, or the percentage. So if you know the exact dimensions the image should be (or either the height or the width), you can type it in. If not, you can play with the percentage until it looks right to you. For a comic, you should decide what dimensions you want to save your comic pages at, and save all of them the same size - at least if you want to be consistant. (in lower versions of PS, a person had to change the dimensions before clicking save - and then remember to change it back right afterward or risk destroying the psd file. But now PS lets you specify the dimensions while saving a copy)
On the left side of the window, where you have the preview that shows the image to be saved, if you look at the bottom there, you'll see this bar that tells some info about the image, including the file size it will be after saving it.

Now, for your comic pages, first you need to write down Smackjeeves' image size rules. I don't remember what they are, but there's probably something about file size as well as file dimensions. When saving a page, make sure both the physical and... memory? sizes are below the limits. Also, use that "optimized" preview to look at the page before saving it. When you decrease the quality, look at the preview to see if the image still looks clear. When you decrease the physical size, make sure you can read all the dialogue easily (and just, in general, think about if the size seems good).
When everything's good, just click save at the bottom and name it something.

...I kind'a just said everything I could think of. ^_^" ...I could take a screenshot of that window, too, if you'd want. But I might have said too much. If I said a bunch of stuff that's obvious, then don't be upset.
I'm not sure in what ways CS6 might be different from CS5, though, so a few things might have changed places or something. But it should be pretty similiar. I also have CS2, and CS5 isn't too different from it besides being able to change the file dimensions (and being able to rotate the canvas while drawing, and there being a watercolor brush, and the PS logo's different - but those aren't related to saving).

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
user posted image
• PM • EMAIL • WWW
^
Fox
 Posted: Aug 29 2014, 11:25 PM
is currently Offline.
"Rising in Triumph, just like the phoenix".-Loretta Livingstone

Fox Storm
N/A
21 posts
N/A

Group Icon

Oooh...this is very useful information! It really worked wonders for me; I tried it already and it worked like a charm! Or so I hope. Thank you very much for your help, Asj! I really appreciate it. ^^

And to really test it out, I'm gonna post a profile pic I did of Ol' Moptop for my '80s comic. So...here we go! ^^

Old School, New Revolution Profile: Ty Parsec
• PM • EMAIL
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | The Art Museum | Next Newest »

topic options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
new poll

THIS SKIN WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY KIERA OF WECODE, SHINE, ATF AND CAUTION with edits by MISS MANDZ.
Thanks to LIBBY of CC for assistance with the header coding!